Saturday, January 22, 2011

Serpent's Return

A while ago, we shared with you our first encounter with our unexpected visitor - a large Boomslang (Click here for the post). It didn't take her very long to show her face again! We had just finished watering and I sat down to have my coffee when a little bit of movement pulled my attention upward - and there she was once again!



This time, the camera was close by and I managed to get a shot of her as she was  exiting into the neighbours yard like before. The above-shown photo shows her lower-half - from her middle to her tail. It was still quite a sight seeing her fully extended across the arch, moments before this photo. Easily 1,3 meters in length.
We decided to name her, seeing as it was now clear she enjoyed visiting our garden from time to time. The name that stuck is Nyoka, which literally just means 'snake' in isiXhosa (one of South Africa's 11 official languages).


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures on your blog! The photo of the boomslang reminded me of floating around in our pool a couple of summers ago and suddenly feeling something between my leg and the side of the float. I looked down and it was a snake! I walked on water to get away!

    It is hard to get your kind of oasis in Tucson, but we are trying! I'll be back to see more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the visit! Quite a terrifying story about the snake! think my reaction would probably have been similiar!! Good luck with the garden-vibes over there! See you again :) peace and love

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to photo updates on your oasis. Rod gave me a fountain for Christmas, and we just discovered that we could replenish it daily with swimming pool water instead of filling every available container with de-ionized water from the water store!

    Just the sound of that water is making our space seem more like an oasis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. That is a large Bloomslang! :O Nice pictures though. This blog is very good for the eyes coz it's GREEN EVERYWHERE :D x

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Judie Will do another update very soon! I'm very jealous of your fountain! Definitely an essential ingredient for any backyard-paradise. We've been thinking of getting one here.. but haven't gotten around to it. Would like to solarize it, if we get one! Can't be that hard! haha (I hope). Thanks for the visit.
    Much love

    @eMiLy ChAnG - haha, yeah she was quite big-beast! but beautiful though! Thanks for the visit! Much peace and love

    ReplyDelete